Why should you take charge of your health in 2012?
For any of you that are not sure that this is the year to take charge of your health, I would like to provide some information that might help you change your mind. I think that some people believe that since they have insurance from their company, they are pretty much immune to concerns about health issues. One interesting stat is that 60% of all people filing for bankruptcy in this country did so because of extraordinary medical expenses. That didn’t surprise me. What did surprise me was that of these 60%, 75% had insurance. One friend of mine decided to check back on where his family spent their funds in 2011 and was shocked to find that money spent on medical expenses, including drugs and a couple of short stays in a hospital amounted to over $15,000. And this family had a low deductible health insurance policy. With the current state of flux with health care insurance, I strongly suggest that taking charge of your health is an extremely cost efficient and wise decision for you and your family.
Here are a few guidelines I suggest you consider of optimal health and weight:
- Eat a healthy diet consisting primarily of fresh, whole foods, ideally organic and locally-grown if possible. Try to eat more “raw” foods. Consume healthy fats which include saturated fats, and animal based omega 3 fats
- Severely limit or eliminate sugar, particularly fructose, and grains from your diet in order to optimize your insulin and leptin levels. Limit your alcohol intake, red wine is best.
- Drink plenty of clean water
- Manage your stress
- Implement a regular fitness program that includes a wide variety of exercises, including high-intensity interval training, conventional aerobics, strength training, core exercises and stretching. (The older you are the more time you should spend on strength training)
- Optimize your levels of these two important hormones, Vitamin D and DHEA
- Get plenty of sleep at least 7 hours, 8 is better.
BEST HEALTH TIP FOR YOU AND FAMILY IS TO S—T—O—P DRINKING SODA, REGULAR OR DIET!
Let’s hope that if this is the year you decided to take charge of your health, you have a plan based on knowledge of what it takes to be successful. One of the things that really helped me was the information I picked up from reading the book that has become my “health bible”. This is a book called “The Metabolic Plan” by Dr. Stephen Cherniske. I strongly suggest checking this book out. It is a pretty inexpensive and an easy read. You can purchase from Amazon for about $12. You will learn about the metabolic model of aging. When you understand how and why our body ages, you can then understand what you need to do to keep it healthy. I will never forget the sentence in the book where Dr. Cherniske says “if we knew better we would do better”.
A great on line newsletter is from Dr. Joe Mercola and you can receive it free at www.mercola.com. This is the best natural health website on the planet.
Appreciate any comments you might have on my blog. I am always interested in hearing ideas to improve health and wellness.